Toronto’s winter climate can be unforgiving, we all know that. The last thing you want to be doing is holding your breath every time it snows or rains heavily because you’re worried about your foundation wall.
Some common tips to keep your wall free from cracks and wear, are as follows:
- Ice and snow build-up. The freeze-thaw cycle of the elements really do a number to the bricks, mortar and even concrete
- Proper walkway/driveway maintenance. Keeping the area shoveled and clear of snow and ice will help tremendously
- Correctly graded eaves troughs and down spouts. Keep water running away from the house
- Salt build-up in the winter – the cheap salt is terrible for mortar and over time, the salt particles can become embedded into the concrete or foundation
These are a few basic tips to keep your foundation wall tough and crack-free so water and critters can’t get in. If your wall is already too far damaged, or you think it could use a face lift, give us a call and we can give you a free estimate to let you know if it needs attention or not.
When we prepare to parge your home:
- We thoroughly examine the wall and knock off any loose debris or older parging work that is crumbling.
- Sometimes if knocking off loose material creates a hole in the wall, we make sure to add layers of parging to those areas so that the entire wall is the same thickness and flush all the way across.
- Then we fully clean the area and apply a splash of water to the area just before parging.
- We always give it a nice sponge finish that will look great when fully cured.
If your wall is already too far damaged, or you think it could use a face lift, give us a call and we can give you a free estimate to let you know if it needs attention or not.
At Buildstrong Masonry, we take pride in our parging and have been doing it for years. We do work all around the GTA and parging can be done as long as it’s not too cold and the area is not too far damaged already.